You Can Do It - Part I

We had left Canada for India in November 2019, and were expected to be back in Canada by mid April - our grand daughter was expected on 05th April. The sudden onset of COVID in the beginning of 2020 upset the plans of all humans worldwide, including us. Lock downs, hand washes, social distancing and masks became the norm. Airlines and countries shut down. Repatriation flights/ bubble flights became the saviours to ferry people between countries. We were expecting things to stabilise soon, so that we could book our seats to Canada; in the meanwhile, our grand daughter arrived ahead of schedule, on 31st March. We had to wait....

It was now August and the hopes of normalcy still seemed like a distant dream; thanks to the Chinese virus. we were getting mentally prepared to wait a little longer for the regular flights to commence. Meanwhile, the first wave of COVID had subsided somewhat, but a second wave was expected during the winter months. One day in the second half of August, we get a call from our daughter giving us a choice of specifying whether we wished to travel in the first, or second week of September. She had now taken charge of booking our seats, and was not ready to listen. All these years, I had booked our travel tickets; but sensing our reluctance, she had now taken charge to book our seats this time. We relented and agreed to the second week of September. Our son-in-law took the responsibility and in two days we got our e-tickets; the booking was for business class travel on the night of 11th/ 12th, from Delhi to Toronto, reaching Toronto at 08:30 am by the 15.5 hours direct flight of Air India. 

As per Canadian COVID protocol in force at the time, we were required to quarantine for 2 weeks after arrival. Our daughter's fully furnished property in Wasaga Beach was agreed upon. Our daughter and son-in-law stocked up the groceries, milk and other necessities for the 2-week period in the home, just before our arrival. I needed a car for the travel from the airport to Wasaga, as also for use during our stay. Our children had a short discussion and it was agreed between them to buy us a mini SUV type of vehicle that would help us in smoothly navigating the winter snow in Wasaga; our son was given the responsibility to buy it. He purchased the same, a couple of days before our arrival. I was not too sure about how to get to Wasaga from the airport; our son activated full service on our mobile phone before arrival so that we could use google maps for directions.

After a comfortable journey and flight from Zirakpur/ Delhi, we arrived at Toronto on time. The immigration/ customs was a breeze, as we were the only flight arrival at that time, an unseen/ unheard of phenomenon in Toronto, thanks to COVID restrictions. Once outside, we called our son. Two cars, one driven by our son and the other by our son-in-law pulled up in front of us, in a short while. They both helped load the luggage onto the car, while maintaining social distancing. Once done, our son handed over the keys of the Kia Sportage to me, said good luck and was about to leave along with our son-in-law, when I suddenly realised that I had not thought about this scenario; COVID scenario. Normally, I would arrive in Toronto, do a check ride with either of the kids and then begin to drive solo, just to make sure that my brain adjusted to driving on the right side, instead of the left side, of the road; getting used to entry/ exit to/ from the very busy highways around Toronto, at 100 kmph; sitting on the left, driver, seat of the car; and adapting to the opposite positions of the turn and wiper levers, etc.

Seeing them take leave, I suddenly blurted out to my son, "at least wait for me to start and lead me out of the airport terminal, I have forgotten about the lanes to take". I remembered that it was a little confusing. My son looked at me and said, "Nothing confusing. You will be okay. Dad, I am sure you can do it", and they left. I sat in the car that I had never seen, read about, or driven before, trying to orient myself with all the switches and levers that I would need to drive; thank God, for once there were no security personnel outside the terminal, asking you to move on. Slowly, I caught my breath, tried to configure the car's onboard navigation system, but it said, please load the SIM. I let it be, took out my mobile phone; opened the google maps app; fed the address and started out for our new home in Wasaga. I did do it, after all......

My son's "Dad, you can do it" has never really left me. My wife tells me that the kids have been discussing between themselves that our dad has become under confident and that they do not like it. Have I? Have I changed, or to be more precise, what inside me has changed for the kids to come to this conclusion? By kids I mean, grown up adults in their mid thirties, and forties ......

...........To be continued


Comments